Sunday, August 1, 2010

ISO: the perfect vacation project

I'm about to go spend a week in the mountains, with nothing in particular to do except eat Goldfish and drink iced lattes. I found a couple good space operas at the library, and if the spirit moves me, I'll probably get in some crochet time, too. So I've been searching for the perfect vacation project.

What makes a good vacation project? Compact--so the granny square afghan I've got going is out. Simple--so the amigurumi projects I've had an eye on aren't going to work. I want to be able to relax and stitch on auto-pilot, not sweat over teeny-tiny increases. I also don't want a project involving multiple color changes--that many more balls of yarn I'd have to tote along.

So I'd settled on this pretty triangle scarf from the September/October 2009 issue of Crochet Today. Gray is my color of choice for far too many projects, but the only gray crochet thread I could find was mercerized cotton, which wouldn't drape well enough for this sort of thing. So I figured I'd use their recommended bamboo thread (which is super soft), in a nice neutral.

Too bad I can't find any. Michael's doesn't carry the Aunt Lydia's brand, and my local Joann's has been consistently out of the natural color that I want. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so unless Joann's does an overnight restock (unlikely...) I'll just have to find a project I can make with the yarn stash I already have.

Right now I'm leaning towards a basket-weave clutch in cotton, a design I've been working on in my head for awhile. Unless anybody has any better suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment