Friday, July 8, 2011

All we want to do is to eat your brains

You're going to regret taking his stapler.
The Corporate Zombie is another project from Christen Haden's amazing book Creepy Cute Crochet (which I raved about here). In fact, I believe he was the first project I made from that book, in celebration my husband's first "grown-up" job.

I'm fairly pleased with the way he turned out, although the details of his making are rather dim, at this point--I made him more than a year ago, but only just got around to taking a picture.

Unfortunately, Shambles here has not had an easy life. My husband doesn't have a desk of his own at his current job, so Shambles moved back in with us... and the cat. Hobbes is a nice cat, but he has a huge, epic, totally cliche obsession with yarn, and the things I make out of it.

He didn't destroy the zombie totally, but he did rip out most of his hair and seriously damage his cute felt accessories (the dripping blood and necktie). I'll have to re-do them at some point, although I think he looks more like a proper zombie now.

The details: As I mentioned above, I really don't remember many specifics... I probably used an F hook. The main body (shirt and pants) are made from Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, but I believe the head is Lily Sugar 'n Cream. The hair is an anonymous brown acrylic.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Amigurumi Android

(He's stuck to the computer with velcro.)

My dad is a computer geek, and he loves anything free, open source, and Google-related (especially his Android phone)--so when I saw this free pattern for a crocheted Android robot, I knew I had to make it for him for his birthday.

It was pretty easy and fast to make, and it turned out very cute. I made just a few changes to bethsco's original pattern. Mine has black eyes, not white, because all I had on hand were black safety eyes and I didn't have time to go searching for a white alternative. I used either an E or F hook (I can't remember which) instead of the recommended H hook, in order to make it smaller. I also used Lion Brand's Cotton Ease yarn in lime, which I thought was closer to the color of the actual Android logo.

(Side note: that lime green yarn has been so much more versatile than I ever would have expected when I bought it. It's been the perfect shade for Cthulu, Yoda, and now the Android bot. Go figure!)