Wednesday, September 8, 2010

More amigurumi: Bop Bot!

Bop Bot listens to bands that don't exist yet.
I've been on a bit of an amigurumi kick lately (I guess I had to get that afghan out of my system), but I think this will probably be the last for awhile. My hands are cramping up!

Like Yoda, Bop Bot is a thank-you gift for a professional mentor, one with far better taste in music than I have. The pattern came from Crobots: 20 Amigurumi Robots to Make by Nelly Pailloux, which is full of great designs (although this is the first I've made). It wasn't too hard and the instructions and diagrams were very clear. My only complaint is that there are a lot of little parts to assemble and sew together, and boy do I hate sewing. The poor guy actually sat on my desk in pieces for about a week before I finally got around to assembling him. But that might be more personal quirk, less actual failing on the designer's part.

As usual, I made a few deviations from the pattern. I changed up the colors a bit, eliminated a few rounds to make him shorter, and fiddled with the embellishments a bit mostly to reduce the amount of sewing I'd have to do. So I glued on sequins instead, and used safety eyes instead of beads. I stuck with the original idea of using a retractable-pen spring for the mouth--I think it looks really cute.

Technical details: The robot is done with a size E/4 3.5 mm hook in worst weight yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Colonial Blue and Lion Brand Cotton Ease in Seafoam. For the headphones I used a size C/2 2.75 mm hook and two different yarns: Lion Brand Vanna's Glamour (sport weight) in platinum and Royale crochet thread in black (either size 10 or size 3--I don't remember and I've lost the label). The whole thing is about 3 - 3.5" tall, stuffed with yarn bits and polyester fiberfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment